Thursday, January 28, 2010

CRM: Oops I did it again (created a folder in the CRM folder in Outlook)

Many are the curious, few are cautious.

I've seen the curious user who has created a folder within the CRM folder in Outlook. When asked "why?" the normal response boils down to "I wanted to see if I could."

Problem is this mere mortal cannot like all other areas of his/her Outlook actually DELETE that folder.

Creating is easy, simply right click something like My Work folder under the Workplace and hit 'new folder' and give it a name.

Ah, then click that folder to enjoy the goodness of 'Outlook cannot display this view.'. The sound you hear is my sympathy played out in a resounding 'HA!'

Next in your anguish try to right click and choose 'Delete Folder' and click the yes you are sure. CURSES, 'Cannot delete this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to hamge your permissions. The folder you are trying to change do not support this operation. Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it.' The upshot of all that is no-can-do. Go ahead and try to look at the permissions, I'll wait...

Ok, now we'll dive into the registry and banish this folder straight away.

If you don't know what the registry is or how to find it, you should stop now BEFORE the warning of the irreparable damage you can do if you monkey with the registry... I am serious the folder is way less harm than possibly fouling up a perfectedly useful machine.

Properly scared, let's head into the HKCU because it's your folder so current user is the best starting place. Then Software and then Microsoft because CRM and Outlook are both Microsoft products... Now you should scroll down and find MSCRMMsgStore, click inside to find the RootFolder.

Now your hunting skills should help. You should see just GUIDs now. I had three 'folders' but only one had sub-folders. Dig into the one with subs. Each sub-folder when clicked shows a value in the Data column in the right pane. Under 3001001F (your mileage may vary) we see things like 'Service,' 'Sales,' and 'Workplace.' Well I know my folder is under workplace so I open that one. Similarly more sub-folders with more 3001001F values, where I look for 'My Work' folder. Finally in the sub-folders I see my bad folder and with a right click of that key only, I can banish it to deletedville. It will require an Outlook restart, but away it will go.

Cheers!


- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment